20010920: netCDF Fortran-90 error code

Pat,

> cc: <address@hidden>
> From: Pat Jones <address@hidden>
> Subject: netCDF error code

>       Hi. I'm writing with regard to a problem that I'm having using
> netCDF. I'm running a very large global atmospheric dust model, and just
> converted over to the netCDF Fortran 90 interface with very little
> difficulty, except for the following. During run time my code quits with
> an "Unknown Error". Furthermore, this happens at the netCDF call
>
>       rcd=rcd+nf90_put_var(nc_id,var_id(1),nstep,time_cnt)
>
> where time_cnt is defined as
>
>       integer time_cnt(1)
>
> The first three arguments seem to be OK because I've run the command with
> only them, and had no trouble. The code quits, setting rcd = -40. Does the
> -40 point to any sort of error in particular?

I believe that -40 indicates that the coordinate array is invalid.  You
can obtain the actual error message via the nf90_strerror() routine.
How many dimensions does the netCDF variable that you're trying to write
have and is the origin-1 vector of indicial coordinates in "nstep" a
valid indicial vector?

> I'm running this on both an SGI 64 and Red Hat Linux 7.0 / Pentium
> 3 architectures and getting the same result on both.....any insight
> would be appreciated. Thanks.

        Pat Jones

> Patrick Jones
> 422 Rowland Hall