Re: 20010821: building netCDF on 64-bit machines

>To: address@hidden
>From: Crystal Shaw <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20010821: building netCDF on 64-bit machines

Crystal,

> The reason make test was stopped was because it was consuming the whole system
> compiling for hours and I got an email from another user. Should I assume
> the last output was where it got stuck? I could trace back. I could also
> compile on a 32-bit linux system and compare the output.

Since the "make all" built everything OK, you could try running make
test in the other directories that it hadn't been run in yet, by just
cd'ing into the individual directories and running "make test" from
each one.  If I remember right, it had already worked OK in the libsrc
directory, but had gotten stuck in the nctest directory?

Maybe there is a problem that results in an infinite loop on the
itanium during the "make test".  You could see if that is what is
happening by attaching to the process with a debugger and interrupting
it to see where it's stuck.  You might even be able to just comment
out that test and see if it passes all the others.

> The first time I tried "make test" and put it in the background assuming it
> was done the next day and proceeded to make install and failed there. Will
> try to reproduce the output and email you.

OK, but without access to an itanium, I'm not sure if we'll be able to
help much.

--Russ