Re: netcdf help

>To: address@hidden
>From: "Alan S. Dawes" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20010808: large file support in netCDF 3.5.0

Alan,

> I compiled your program on a AIX platform using large file support, linking
> in NETCDF 3.5 (downloaded today). However, It will not write a file > 2GB.
> Can you find what the problem is?
>
> Hope you can help.
>
> Regards
>
> Alan
>
> p.s. I have attached the relevent files that I used.
> p.p.s. Large file support has appeared to do nothing.

This is just to acknowledge getting your message and files.  I'm
working on the problem, which appears to be more complex than I had
thought.  I've gone back to trying to duplicate my earlier creation of
a 6 Gbyte netCDF file on a Linux system with large file support,
because I couldn't get the example I had sent you to work (and which I
remember testing before sending to you).  It now dies when trying to
write a large file with an assertion violation:

  big2: posixio.c:277: px_get: Assertion `offset < 2147483647' failed.
  IOT Trap
  Abort (core dumped)

I need to investigate whether this works in C but not Fortran
(unlikely), whether it has to do with whether the file is local or NFS
mounted (I think NFS version 2 didn't support large files, but NFS
version 3 does), whether it works on 64-bit and some 32-bit platforms
but not on others, whether I had been using 3.5.1-beta instead of
3.5.0 (shouldn't make any difference) etc. ...

So with some other demands on my time today, I doubt if I'll have it
figured out until early next week.

--Russ