Re: 20010829: FORMAT *.ers

>To: <address@hidden>
>cc: <address@hidden>
>From: "Pascal Mouge" <address@hidden>
>Subject: FORMAT *.ers

Hi Pascal,

> How can I convert data from the *.ers format to netCDF ?
> Thank you for your response.

Sorry this has taken so long to answer.  It seems to have been
misplaced.

It's not clear what you mean by "*.ers format", since there are
several file formats that use that name.  Assuming you mean the
internal raster file format of the "ER Mapper" software, then the GMT
package

 http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/

can read and write ER Mapper maps as well as netCDF files, so
it may be of use in converting from one to another:

 http://www.gstat.org/manual/node55.html
 http://www.gstat.org/manual/node54.html

The gstat package

 http://www.gstat.org/links.html

similarly can import ER Mapper files and also uses netCDF for its GMT
files.

This note refers to a script converting ER Mapper grid files to
netCDF:

 http://earth.uni-muenster.de/~eicksch/GMT-Help/msg02955.html

You may be able to find other similar references using "netcdf" and
"ER Mapper" in a search engine such as Google.

We can't help much if by "*.ers format", you mean the format of data
for the ERS-1 and ERS-2 satellites, or the "Elora Research Station"
format described at

  http://www.uoguelph.ca/~rsweetma/Weather.html

or the ERS format described at

  http://www.ers.state.tx.us/VendorBid/HMO/AppendixE.pdf