Re: 20010815: netCDF installation errors

>To: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
>From: "Jim W Lee" <address@hidden>
>Subject: netCDF installation errors

Hi Jim,

> Hello!  I recently downloaded netCDF 3.5.0 from your website
> (http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/), and attempted to
> install it via the directions at
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/INSTALL.html.  However,
> when I ran ./configure, the config.log file that it generated had
> several errors in it that I do not know how to fix.  I have included
> the log file with this e-mail in the hopes that you may be able to
> provide some assistance, or forward this to someone who could.  Thank
> you for your time!

For the most part, you can ignore error messages in config.log,
because they're generated by the configure script in testing the
compiler environment; as it says in the INSTALL.html instructions:

  The configure script will also create the file "config.log", which
  will contain error messages from the utilities that the configure
  script uses in examining the attributes of your system. Because such
  an examination can result in errors, it is expected that "config.log"
  will contain error messages. Therefore, such messages do not
  necessarily indicate a problem (a better indicator would be failure of
  the subsequent "make"). One exception, however, is an error message in
  "config.log" that indicates that a compiler could not be started. This
  indicates a severe problem in your compilation environment -- one that
  you must fix.

So if there are error messages (not just warning messages) from the
subsequent "make" or something in the standard output of the configure
script indicating it couldn't find a compiler, feel free to send a
question about that to address@hidden, but I didn't see
anything in the config.log that you sent that indicated a problem ...

--Russ