20010730: NetCDF and equidistant grids

Mateja,

> To: address@hidden
> From: Mateja Irsic <address@hidden>
> Subject: NetCDF

> I would like to know if there is the only possibility to define
> ekvi-distant grid in two variables or are there some
> standard grids (like lambert projection), where you only specify
> some parameters of the grid.
>
> Another question very important for me is:
> is it possible to specify non-ekvidistant grid, like
> satellite instruments have it: AVHRR, ...
> I would be very happy to get some hints where to look and
> some examples for fortran fort would be very appreciated.

The issue of map projections is outside the scope of the netCDF library.
It is possible, however, to adopt a set of conventions that allow map
projections to be specified. The way this is usually done is to adopt a
set of attributes with well-known names and use them to specify the map
projection parameters. Examples of such conventions can be found that
the following URL:

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/conventions.html

> Best regards,
> Mateja Irsic.
> Mateja Irsic                               Email:address@hidden
> Agencija RS za okolje                      tel:  + 386 1 478 41 31
> Vojkova 1b                                 fax:  + 386 1 436 17 13
> 1000 Ljubljana
> SLOVENIA

Regards,