20010716: netCDF 2.3.2 under RH 7.1: missing "linux.m4"

Fred,

> To: address@hidden
> From: Fred Dick <address@hidden>
> Subject: netCDF2.3.2 in RH7.1

> I'm trying to compile an older version of netCDF2.3.2 on RedHat Linux 7.1
> for use with the
> 'minc' system from the Montreal Neurological Institute, and am getting
> the following error messages (no problems with ./configure though):
>
> Makefile:372: warning: overriding commands for target `/usr/local/include'
> Makefile:369: warning: ignoring old commands for target `/usr/local/include'
> make[2]: Entering directory `/home/fdick/mni/netcdf-2.3.2/fortran'
> Makefile:372: warning: overriding commands for target `/usr/local/include'
> Makefile:369: warning: ignoring old commands for target `/usr/local/include'
> make[2]: *** No rule to make target `linux.m4', needed by `netcdf.inc'.
> Stop.
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/fdick/mni/netcdf-2.3.2/fortran'
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/fdick/mni/netcdf-2.3.2/fortran'
> make: *** [fortran/all] Error 1
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks very much,
> cheers,
> Fred Dick

My first suggestion would be not to use version 2.3.2 of the netCDF
package. Version 3 is much better and is completely backward- compatible
with Version 2.

If you insist on using version 2, then I suggest retrying the
installation with the enclosed file placed in the "fortran/"
subdirectory.

Regards,

divert(-1)

# Name of system platform (for use in comments)
define(`M4__SYSTEM', Linux)

# transformation from fortran name to name of C module
define(`NAMEF',`$1_')   # for Sun and most unixes, just append an underscore

# transformation from string name to corresponding argument name
define(`STRINGF',`$1')

# extra arguments, if any, for string length
define(`STRINGX',`, $1len')  # one extra stringlen parameter

# declaration to be used for argument name descriptor
define(`STRINGD',`
    char        *$1;    `$2'
    int         $1`'`len';') # declare argument string with extra stringlen
parameter

# declarations and initializations of canonical local variables
define(`STRINGL',`')

# C integral type equivalent to a FORTRAN INTEGER
define(`F_INTEGER',`int')

# FORTRAN declaration for a long integer (e.g. integer*4 for Microsoft)
define(`LONG_INT',`integer')

# FORTRAN declaration for a short integer (e.g. integer*2)
define(`SHORT_INT',`integer*2')

# FORTRAN declaration for an integer byte (e.g. integer*1 or byte)
define(`BYTE_INT',`byte')

# FORTRAN declaration for single precision
define(`SINGLE_PRECISION',`real')

# FORTRAN declaration for double precision (e.g. real for a Cray)
define(`DOUBLE_PRECISION',`double precision')

divert(0)dnl