Re: BUFR to netCDF

>To: address@hidden
>From: Reinhold Hess <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20010713: BUFR to netCDF

Hi Dr. Hess,

> I would like to visualize satellite data that is in BUFR-Format and
> therefore I have been looking for a converter from BUFR to netCDF.
>
> Is there already a tool I can use, or do you know anyone having the
> same problem?  (I was searching in the internet and found a remark
> of you, that you are working on such a converter. The remark was in
> 1994, however I could not find the program)

Sorry, but our project to develop BUFR to netCDF software was never
started.

A remark in the following message from 1996 indicates Bear Giles might
have found or developed some software for the task:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/netcdf/1482

I believe his current email address is either <address@hidden> or
<address@hidden>.

There is a "BUFR to CDF" converter from 1994 available at

  ftp://ftp.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/E-BUFR/bufcdf/bufcdf.tar

but I don't know anything about it or whether it could be easily
adapted to convert to netCDF instead of CDF.

You have probably already found this, but the MEL BUFR library is
probably what I would start with if I were going to attempt to write a
BUFR to netCDF converter:

  http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/bufr/Library/mel_bufr_lib.html

Sorry I can't be of more help with this, and please let me know if you
find anything else ...

--Russ