20010711: installing NETCDF.mod under UNICOS

Andrew,

> Date:    Wed, 11 Jul 2001 15:56:30 +1000
> From:    Andrew Roberts <address@hidden>
> To:      Russ Rew <address@hidden>
> cc:      Frank Sainsbury <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: 20010703: UNICOS

> Thanks for your speedy reply, Russ.
>
> We have been unable to install the beta f90 version on unicos, ending up
> at the same place as before: The libraries, C and f77 versions all install
> OK, but we end up with the same final error message "Don't know how to
> make netcdf.mod".
>
> We have tried altering  macros.make.def  by adding "-em" to FFLAGS. This
> enables module files to be constructed, however it is probably clutching
> at straws, and did not affect our final outcome, except it does construct
> a file NETCDF.mod in the f90 directory.  As I understand it, NETCDF.mod is
> the Irix version, and we should be getting a netcdf.mod (all lower case)
> for UNICOS.
>
> We are using unicos version 10.0.0.6 (soon to be 10.0.0.8).
>
> regards
> Andy
>
> Andrew Roberts  address@hidden   ph-03 6226 7888
> Ph.D. Student   http://www.antcrc.utas.edu.au  Antarctic CRC

Would you please try the following:

    1.  Go into the "f90/" subdirectory of your netCDF source distribution.

    2.  Edit the file "Makefile": change the definition of the macro
        "HEADER" from "$(NETCDF.MOD)" to "NETCDF.mod".

    3.  Go up to the parent directory.

    4.  Retry your "make install".

Please let me know if this works.

The problem is that different Fortran-90 compilers create
differently-named netCDF module files (e.g. "netcdf.mod", "NETCDF.mod").

This problem should be fixed in the next release.

Regards,