20010706: size of netCDF Fortran real

Sue YANG,

You are correct, NF_FLOAT variables are 32 bits wide and nothing can be
done to change this (short of rewriting the netCDF library).  Sorry.

You might be able to use the compilation option that makes REALs
equivilent to DOUBLEPRECISIONs on the IRIX system if you define the
corresponding netCDF variables as type NF_DOUBLE. You'd probably have to
build a special netCDF library with that compilation option and I doubt
that you'd be able to use the Fortran-90 interface (because it requires
the existance of 4-byte reals).

Regards,