20010620: CDL

Mark,

> To: <address@hidden>
> From: Mark Takala <address@hidden>
> Subject: CDL

> When I make a cdl, and use the commands to generate a netcdf file from it,
> i am wondering how to make an array of data, from many samplings.
>
> variables:
>       double foo
>               foo:long_name ="foo"
>               foo:units="celsius"
> data:
>       foo = (here i want an array, for many values. not just one)
>
> what can I do here?
>
> Mark

The netCDF User's Guide contains examples of CDL for arrays that contain
many values.  Section 2.1.2 is particularly good.  It's available at

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/guidec/guidec-7.html#HEADING7-0

Basically, you add dimensions to the CDL and define variables in terms
of the dimensions, e.g.

    dimensions:
            lat = 5, lon = 10;
    variables: