Re: 20010611: netCDF installation problems

>To: address@hidden
>cc: "Phegley Mr. Larry" <address@hidden>,
>cc: "Daren Grant (sys adminstrator)" <address@hidden>,
>cc: Capt Sharon Elaine <address@hidden>
>From: "Robert Lyon" <address@hidden>
>Subject: netCDF installation problems

Hi Rob,

> I am working on some code to read netCDF data from a file and convert it
> to an alternate file format for the Navy Research Laboratory.  We have
> been unable to get a successful installation.
>
> We tried with netCDF version 3.4 on two different HP UNIX platforms and
> was unable to get past the configure step.
>
> So then we tried by downloading the latest software from your website,
> version 3.5.0.  This time it appears that we got all almost through the
> "make test" function before it aborted.
>
> Request your assistance in telling me what I am doing wrong.  I have
> attached the files your request in the troubleshooting section of
> "INSTALL.html".  Note that configure.log file labeling convention has
> been relabeled to a configure_log.txt convention for ease since I
> transferred the files to a WINDOWS NT workstation for processing.  ALso
> included is a few extra files that I thought might help such as the
> results of the uname step with output directed to uname_log.txt file,
> the UNIX system environment (labeled env_log.txt), etc.

In your environment variables, you have set

  FLIBS=-1U77

which is causing errors in the invocation of fort77 to link object
files:

> /opt/fortran/bin/fort77 -o nf_test -O2 -w  test_get.o  test_put.o
> nf_error.o      nf_test.o       test_read.o     test_write.o    util.o
> fortlib.o ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a -1U77 -lm
> *** Error exit code 1

You need to use "l" (ell) instead of "1" (one) as in

  FLIBS=-lU77

So from the top-level netCDF src/ directory, you'll need to reinvoke
the configure script after removing the config.cache file and running
"make clean":

  $ rm config.cache
  $ make clean
  $ export FLIBS=-lU77 # "setenv FLIBS=-lU77" if you are using csh or tcsh
  $ ./configure # plus whatever arguments you used for configure
  $ make all test

and then "make install" if that worked.

--Russ