Re: 20010608: segmentation fault in netcdf_red.f on a dec alpha

>To: address@hidden
>From: Grant Bigg <address@hidden>
>Subject: segmentation fault in netcdf_red.f on a dec alpha

Hi Grant,

> I've been trying to read NCEP reanalysis data using the netcdf_red.f
> programme on a dec alpha but get a segmentation error in gridread:
>
> signal segmentation fault at >*[utIsTime, 0x12003c880] ldq  t1, -4(a0)
>
> This seems to be associated with the udunits.inc file and setting up the
> PTR variable. Could you tell me how this should be done on alphas
> please?

I don't know anything about netcdf_red.f, so if the error is related
to that code, you'll have to contact the author.

If you're right and the problem is with the type of the PTR variable
in udunits.inc, it should be defined to be a Fortran type that will
hold 64 bits for the Alpha, something like "integer*8":

#ifndef PTR
#   define PTR  integer*8
#endif

I'm also CC:ing Steve Emmerson, the author of udunits.inc, in case he
has additional suggestions.

--Russ