Re: on number of continuation lines

>To: address@hidden
>From: "James E. Klein" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20010531:  on number of continuation lines

Jim,

> Well, your comments and quotations are right on the money. Fixing
> the Fort_Max_Lines does not do enough because of the size of the .nc
> file used to create the my ascii file with ncdump.
>
> My problem is that all I have is a .nc file which a large simulation
> code reads. My task is to "open" the .nc file, change numerical
> values in it and then close it and feed it back to the simulation
> again and I don't have access to the code which originally generated
> the original .nc file.
>
> Before I spend much more time on this I'll ask, do you think it is
> possible to do what I described?

Yes, it shouldn't be too hard.

If you're doing this in Fortran, you might find out what you need to
know by looking at Chapter 4 of the Fortran-77 Users Guide:

 http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/guidef/guidef-9.html#HEADING9-0

to see some skeleton sample code for opening and reading data from a
netCDF file with known names.  (Or you could read the same chapter
from the Fortran-90 Users Guide, if you're more comfortable with that
language and interface, from
<http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/docs.html>.)

You'll be calling NF_OPEN to open the file, NF_INQ_VARID to get the
variable ID for a variable with a particular name, NF_GET_VAR_type()
to get some values of the variable into an array of a specified
numerical type, NF_PUT_VAR_type() to overwrite the changed values back
to the file, and NF_CLOSE when you're done, to make sure the file gets
closed properly after the last write.  There are examples of all of
these calls in Chapter 7 of the Users Guide:

 http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/guidef/guidef-12.html#HEADING12-0

Good luck.  If you still have questions, it would be best to send them
to address@hidden to make sure they get routed to someone
who is here to answer them (possibly me) ...

--Russ