Re: 20010520: Troubleshooting Netcdf-3.5.0

>To: <address@hidden>
>From: "Annette and Frankie Stone" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Troubleshooting Netcdf-3.5.0

Hi Frankie,

> I have pasted below all on the information you requested in the INSTALL
> document for troubleshooting.  All of these seem to run well.  The only
> place that I can see any problem in these logs is in the config.log.

The "config.log" file is expected to contain error messages, because
it logs the feature tests while running the configure script.  It
looks OK to me.

> Also, here is the bash shell output from the make install.  It seems to
> indicate a problem with ncdump that is not indicated on the install.log
> file.  I do notice that the bin folder under netcdf-3.5.0 does not have
> any files in it.  Is that a problem?
>
> bash-2.04$ make install >install.log
> Not making `f90/install' because no FORTRAN-90 compiler
> cp: `ncdump' and `/cygdrive/c/cygwin/netcdf-3.5.0/bin/ncdump' are the
> same file
> make[2]: *** [/cygdrive/c/cygwin/netcdf-3.5.0/bin/ncdump] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [subdir_target] Error 1
> make: *** [ncdump/install] Error 2

I think the problem is that the executables created on Cygwin systems
are "ncdump.exe" and ncgen.exe" rather than the "ncdump" and "ncgen"
executables created on Unix systems.  The Makefile is designed for
Unix systems, so can't handle this difference.  Just run "make -k
install" to get the installation to continue past this point, then
manually copy the ncdump.exe and ncgen.exe programs into the bin
directory to complete the installation.

> Also note that I am trying to get GMT to run on this system and GMT was
> having trouble getting past a certain point until I manually copied
> netcdf.h to the lib directory of netcdf.  I am still having trouble with
> GMT and that is why I want to be sure that I have netcdf installed
> correctly.

Ordinarily the netcdf.h header file is installed in the "include"
directory rather than the "lib" directory, but you can put it anywhere
if you tell the compiler where to find it when you are compiling
programs that use netCDF, such as GMT.  I don't know where GMT is
configured to look for the netcdf.h header file, but if it expects it
to be in the lib/ directory, then copying it manually would have been
necessary.

--Russ