Re: 20010425: netcdf problems

>From: "Julie Pietrzak" <address@hidden>

Hi Julie,

> I have a question about the correct installation of netcdf on a Cray J90
> machine using UNICOS.
>
> I have been using netcdf to store ocean model (POM) output on a pc for
> several years without any problems. However, previously I simply downloaded
> a netcdf executable.
>
> When I try compiling netcdf on a Cray J90 I run into problems that I do not
> understand.
>
> Attached please find all the requested items A - H.
>
> A. sn9288 steen 10.0.0.1 cra.6 CRAY J90
>
> B. VERSION=          3.5.0
>
> C. /opt/ctl/bin/cc
>    /opt/ctl/bin/f90
>
> D. - H are attached.
>
> A quick question what does alloca.h do? It doesn't seem to be able to find
> it when compiling.

First, alloca is not the problem.  You sent along "config.log" as well
as "configure.log", and error messages in "config.log" are expected,
since they result from running small programs to determine
characteristics of the environment, for example whether the compiler
supports "alloca".  The output of "configure.log" that resulted was

 checking for working alloca.h... no
 checking for alloca... no
 checking whether alloca needs Cray hooks... yes

which is fine (but I don't know why the configure script bothers with
the last test when it's already determined alloca is not supported.
I'm CC:ing Steve Emmerson for an answer to that).

The output you sent shows "make all" worked fine to build the C,
Fortran-77, C++, and Fortran-90 interfaces.  Then the output from
"make test" showed the C and Fortran-77 netCDF interfaces worked fine,
passing all tests.  The failure you saw on the test of the Fortran-90
interface is the same one we encountered on our Cray J90, but we don't
know what it means:

 Making `test' in directory /tmp/jtmp.042042a/netcdf-3.5.0/src/f90

         f90 -o netcdf_test -g -F -dp  netcdf_test.f90 netcdf.o typeSizes.o
../libsrc/libnetcdf.a

   call check(nf90_put_var(ncFileID, lonVarId,     (/ -180, -175, -170 /)
) )
              ^

 cf90-389 f90: ERROR NETCDFTEST, File = netcdf_test.f90, Line = 78, Column = 14
   No specific match can be found for the generic subprogram call
"NF90_PUT_VAR".

We have forwarded this to our local Cray consultants to see if they
can help.

In the meantime, if you don't need the Fortran-90 interface, you can
use what you have, since the C, Fortran-77, and C++ libraries built OK,
and the C and Fortran-77 libraries passed their installation tests.
To test the C++ interface, you can drop into the src/cxx/ directory
and invoke "make test".

We'll let you know if we get an answer from the Cray experts.  If you
need the Fortran-90 interface right away, it might be faster to ask on
the netcdfgroup mailing list if anyone has succeeded in building it
for a Cray J90 and how they accomplished this.

--Russ