20010207: netcdf-3.5-beta5.win32b: nc_strerror() failure

Sanford,

> To: "'address@hidden'" <address@hidden>
> From: "Ballard, Sanford" <address@hidden>
> Subject: help

> I am trying to read some cdf data files using Borland Delphi v 5.0 on a
> Windows NT machine.  I downloaded netcdf.dll from your ftp site
> (ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/win32/netcdf-3.5-beta5.win32b
> in.ZIP) and put the following definitions in my Delphi code:
>
> function nc_inq_libvers : pchar; external 'netcdf.DLL';
> function nc_strerror (ncerr : integer) : pchar; external 'netcdf.DLL';
> function nc_open (path : pchar; omode : integer; var ncidp : integer) :
> integer; external 'netcdf.DLL';
> function nc_close (ncidp : integer) : integer; external 'netcdf.DLL';

I'm afraid that I don't use the system you describe, so I don't know if
the above is correct.

> When I call nc_inq_libvers I get what appears to be a reasonable answer:
>
> 3.5-beta5 of Oct 17 2000 10:28:35 $
>
> but when I call nc_strerror with any integer (I tried alot of them), I
> always get back
>
> Unknown error

Did you try calling nc_strerror with the error return codes listed in
the header-file "netcdf.h"?

> I also tried calling nc_open and nc_close and get error codes -33 and 22
> respectively.

-33 means "Not a netcdf id".  I don't know what 22 means (indeed, I
don't think you should get a 22).

> What am doing wrong?

I don't know.  We test the netCDF package fairly comprehensively, so I'd
be surprised if there was something wrong with it at the level of your
problem.

Since we can't help you because we don't have your system here, you
might try posting an inquiry to the netCDF mailing-list.

> Thanks in advance,
> Sandy Ballard
> address@hidden
> Voice: 505-844-6293