20010125: nc-3.5 Fortran 90: nf90_get_var() on 2D character v ariable

Bennett

>Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 07:27:27 -0800
>From: "Bennett, David A" <address@hidden>
>To: "'Steve Emmerson'" <address@hidden>
>Subject: RE: 20010123: nc-3.5 Fortran 90: nf90_get_var() on 2D character v
>ariable

> Thanks for all of the support on this topic. For the example data structure
> I showed you, I tried to use the f90 interface where i had the dimensions
> as follows:
>
> dimensions:
>       bands = 16 ;
>       string_len = 16 ;
> variables:
>     ...some variables...
>
>       char band_name(string_len, bands) ;
>               band_name:long_name = "Accepted band name" ;

I'm surprised that the "string_len" dimension is the first dimension
in variable "band_name" because that is the outermost dimension (the
one that varies most slowly).  CDL uses the C convention: the outermost
dimension is the leftmost and the innermost dimension is the rightmost.
Based on the names of the dimensions, I would have thought the following
more appropriate:

    char band_name(bands, string_len) ;

Regards,