20010117: netcdf on a linux (redhat 6.2): don't need Fortran API

Serge,

Sorry for taking so long to respond.  We just had a holiday and an
office-moving day.

> To: address@hidden
> cc: address@hidden
> From: <address@hidden>
> Subject: Compilation bug report

> I am working in the Scilab project
> Some users have ask us to build an interface with netcdf.
>
> I was not able to compile netcdf on a linux (redhat 6.2) box. The
> tested ports do not reference linux with native fortran compiler only
> f2c. I have no need of the fortran API.
>
> Here are the requested informations
> Making `all' in directory /home/steer/netcdf-3.4/src/fortran
>
> make[2]: Entering directory `/home/steer/netcdf-3.4/src/fortran'
> cc -c -O -I../libsrc  -DNDEBUG fort-attio.c
> In file included from ncfortran.h:13,
>                  from fort-attio.c:6:
> cfortran.h:151: #error "cfortran.h:  Can't find your environment among:\
>     - MIPS cc and f77 2.0. (e.g. Silicon Graphics, DECstations, ...)     \
>     - IBM AIX XL C and FORTRAN Compiler/6000 Version 01.01.0000.0000     \
>     - VAX   VMS CC 3.1 and FORTRAN 5.4.                                  \
>     - Alpha VMS DEC C 1.3 and DEC FORTRAN 6.0.                           \
>     - Alpha OSF DEC C and DEC Fortran for OSF/1 AXP Version 1.2          \
>     - Apollo DomainOS 10.2 (sys5.3) with f77 10.7 and cc 6.7.            \
>     - CRAY                                                               \
>     - NEC SX-4 SUPER-UX                                                  \
>     - CONVEX                                                             \
>     - Sun                                                                \
>     - PowerStation Fortran with Visual C++                               \
>     - HP9000s300/s700/s800 Latest test with: HP-UX A.08.07 A 9000/730    \
>     - LynxOS: cc or gcc with f2c.                                        \
>     - VAXUltrix: vcc,cc or gcc with f2c. gcc or cc with f77.             \
>     -            f77 with vcc works; but missing link magic for f77 I/O. \
>     -            NO fort. None of gcc, cc or vcc generate required names.\
>     - f2c    : Use #define    f2cFortran, or cc -Df2cFortran             \
>     - NAG f90: Use #define NAGf90Fortran, or cc -DNAGf90Fortran          \
>     - Absoft UNIX F77: Use #define AbsoftUNIXFortran or cc
> -DAbsoftUNIXFortran"

I see the problem.  You need to tell the configure script that you don't
wan't the Fortran API.  Try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Perform steps 3 through 5 near the end of the INSTALL file.

    3.  Ensure that the environment variables FC and F90 are set to the
        EMPTY STRING, e.g.

            export FC=''
            export F90=''

        or

            setenv FC ''
            setenv F90 ''

    4.  Perform steps 6 through 9 near the end of the INSTALL file.

Please let me know if this helps.

Regards,