Re: 20010110: netcdf 3.5-beta3 questions

>To: address@hidden
>cc: address@hidden
>From: Mary Haley <address@hidden>
>Subject: netcdf 3.5-beta3 questions

Hi Mary,

> I've got a question about your netcdf 3.5-beta3 software.  I recently
> had to build this version on blackforest and babyblue (our IBM
> systems) because there was some problem with netcdf 3.4 that 3.5-beta3
> fixed.
>
> I have received a request to build netcdf 3.5-beta3 on the SGIs since
> somebody wants access to the new f90 interface, and also, there were
> some reports that there may be problems with 3.4 on the SGIs.
>
> Since I'm responsible for maintaining netCDF on several different
> systems (Suns, Linux, IBM, DEC, SGI, Cray), I'm wondering if I should
> go ahead and replace 3.4 with 3.5-beta3 on all of these systems.  Do
> you feel that 3.5-beta3 is stable enough to become the default on many
> of NCAR's systems?

The latest available version of netCDF is netcdf-3.5-beta6 from either
of

 ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-3.5-beta6.ZIP
 ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-3.5-beta6.tar.Z

and it contains some significant enhancements to the Fortran-90
interface that were not in beta3.  It is more stable than 3.4, so I can
recommend its use on NCAR's systems.

However, I'll be working on the final version of netCDF 3.5 when I get
back from the AMS meeting next week, but I can't promise it will be
available very soon.  There have been enough changes since beta6 that
we may still have to go through one more testing cycle involving
another beta release.  The changes since beta6 have been mostly to
enhance portability (making it work on MacOS X, for example) or to
make the installation easier.

--Russ