20001220: Netcdf Installation: confdefs.h not found

Wenfang Lei,

The doctor is in.  :-)

> To: address@hidden
> From: Wenfang Lei <address@hidden>
> Subject: Help for Netcdf Installation

> Dear 'Doctor',
>
> I got sick while trying to install the netcdf-3.4 onto my machine in
> the vert first step configure. Here are the info and symptoms:
>
> Machine: SunOS sunlight 5.6 Generic_105181-03 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
> Netcdf version: netcdf-3.4
> Compilers paths:
>     CC = /opt/SUNWspro/bin/c89
>     FC = /opt/SUNWspro/bin/f77
>     CXX= /opt/SUNWspro/bin/CC
>
> configure.log:
> creating cache ./config.cache
> checking for m4... m4
> checking for xlc... no
> checking for c89... c89
> checking C compiler... configure: error: c89 failed to compile test
> program
>
> config.log:
> This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
> running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.
>
> configure:1020: c89 -c -O -DNDEBUG conftest.c 1>&5 "configure", line 1012:
> cannot find include file: "confdefs.h"  c89: acomp failed for conftest.c
>
> I hope you can diagnose it and help me out. Thank you very much for your
> time.
>
> Merry Christmas!
>
> Wenfang Lei
> Dept Atmospheric Sciences
> Texas A&M Univ

Odd problem.  I've never seen it before and can't see how it could
happen.

I suggest you try to install the latest "beta" version of netCDF 3.5
rather than 3.4.  It could be that this problem is fixed in the most
recent version (which is fairly stable -- despite the "beta"
qualifier).

Please keep me apprised.

Regards,