Re 20001212: Can't install netcdf-3.4 (fwd)

------- Forwarded Message

Date:    Tue, 12 Dec 2000 08:33:12 -0700
From:    Russ Rew <address@hidden>
To:      Francisco Pastor <address@hidden>
Subject: Re 20001212: Can't install netcdf-3.4

>From: Francisco Pastor <address@hidden>
>To: Netcdf group <address@hidden>
>Subject: Can't install netcdf-3.4

Hi Paco,

>     I haven't still succeeded with netcdf-3.4. I run through the
> configure process but get these warnings in config.log:
>

> (Bundled)cc: warning 480: The -O option is only available with the C/ANSI C
> product; ignored

That's just a warning.  You should still be able to build netCDF 3.4
even with compiler warnings.  But if you want to avoid the warning,
make sure your CFLAGS environment variable does not contain "-O".  To
see how to set environment variables, consult:

 http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/russ/netcdf/INSTALL

> This is due to the default HP compiler not being standard and only built
> to work with the kernel. I have also installd gcc-2.9.5.2 that is
> supposed to be an ANSI C compiler. How can I force configure to use gcc
> avoiding cc?  Buying the HP ANSI C compiler is not a solution as it
> costs too much for us. I am working with HP-UX.10.20.

You can force configure to use gcc by setting the CC environment
variable to "gcc" before you run the configure script.  And make sure
you delete the "config.cache" file before you run the configure
script, if it exists.

>     Another question, I have f77 imported from another HP machine
> through NFS in /opt/fortran but configure says no fortran compilers are
> found.

Make sure your PATH environment variable includes the directory
containing the f77 fortran compiler before running the configure
script, and make sure the FC environment variable is set to "f77".

Also, feel free to send these sorts of questions to
"address@hidden" instead of the netcdfgroup mailing list.

--Russ

------- End of Forwarded Message