20001127: netCDF installation problem: netcdf.o doesn't exist

Claude,

>Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 18:45:45 +0100
>From: GUILBAUD <address@hidden>
>To: "'Steve Emmerson'" <address@hidden>
>Subject: RE: 20001127: netCDF installation problem: macro EEXIST undefined

> during the compilation this message appear
>
>         /usr/bin/cc -c -O  -I../libsrc  -D_HPUX_SOURCE -DNDEBUG netcdf.cc
>         /usr/bin/cc -c -O  -I../libsrc  -D_HPUX_SOURCE -DNDEBUG ncvalues.cc
>         ar cru libnetcdf_c++.a netcdf.o ncvalues.o
> ar: No such file or directory
> ar: could not open netcdf.o
> ar: No such file or directory
> ar: could not open ncvalues.o
> *** Error exit code 2
>
> and when i looked in the directory there is no *.o
> so it is like nothing was done by th command
>         /usr/bin/cc -c -O  -I../libsrc  -D_HPUX_SOURCE -DNDEBUG netcdf.cc

From the above, it looks like you're trying to compile C++ code using a
C compiler.  This probably will not work.

If you want to compile the C++, netCDF code, then you must ensure that
the environment variable CXX is correctly defined.  Try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level, netCDF source directory.

    2.  Perform steps 3 through 5 near the end of the INSTALL file.

    3.  If you want the C++, netCDF interface, then ensure that the
        environment variable CXX references a valid C++ compiler.  If,
        however, you do NOT want the C++ interface, then ensure that the
        CXX environment variable is set to the empty string.

    4.  Perform steps 6 through 9 near the end of the INSTALL file.

Please let me know if this helps.

Regards,