20001117: netCDF configure script problem/error

David,

> To: "'address@hidden'" <address@hidden>
> From: "Larson, David K." <address@hidden>
> Subject: netCDF configure script problem/error

> I'm trying to configure netcdf 3.4 on a Linux platform but can't. Note that
> this is a configuration problem, not a make/build/linker problem.
> The history of this problem is this: I downloaded the tar file, uncompressed
> it, tarred it to disk then ran "configure --prefix=some_dir_path".
> I then ran make and got a failure: "unable to make(?)/open(?) ncconfig.h"
> and make terminated. I forgot about the config.log file and didn't
> save the output from the configure execution so I ran "make distclean". Now
> everytime I try to run the configure script it thinks everything's
> configured and says to run "make distclean" before trying to reconfigure.
>
> The next thing I did was to "rm -rf" all netcdf files and dirs (except the
> downloaded tar file) and extract everything from the tar file. Then I
> reran configure and got the same result - it thinks it's already configured
> and it says to run make distclean (which fails, there's no macros.make
> file). So, once again I delete everything extracted from the tar file but I
> also logoff/logon, re-extract from the tar file and attempt to configure
> and I get the same problem. I've even deleted all netcdf related files/dir
> and the tar file and logged out, logged in chose a different path
> to work from and repeated all steps starting with ftping the tar file and
> always configure thinks netcdf is configured and says to run make distclean.
>
> Here's output from the configure script:

> checking for product name... DDD 3.2.1 "Liftoff"
> checking for expiration date... no
> checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
> checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
> configure: error: source directory already configured; run make distclean
> there first

The above output isn't from the configure script in the netCDF
distribution: many of the lines are completely alien.

Which "configure" are you executing?  How are you invoking the configure
script (here, we always execute the command "./configure ..." in the
top-level source directory)?

Regards,