Re: net CDF for Mac (fwd)

> To: address@hidden
> From: "John A. Dutton" <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: 20001031: netCDF for Mac

Hi John,

> I am interested in whether there is any software available to use
> netCDF data effectively on a Mac G4 running OS 9.  I have
> VirtualWindows running on the machine, so I suppose I could go that
> route but it is both morally and ethically reprehensible.
>
> Another option would be to sweep the cobwebs out of the c-compiler
> and try to get the c version running.  Some sort of a native version
> would be preferable, all things considered.

I just ported netCDF, including the C, C++, and Fortran interfaces, to
MacOS X (public beta), and the results will be in netCDF 3.5, to be
released in the next week or so.  However that doesn't help you much
with MacOS 9.  Fortunately, others in the community have done the work
for that version of the OS.  See:

  http://crga.atmos.uiuc.edu/~sergey/soft/index.html

for netCDF version 3.4 for both PowerPC (including G4) and 68K.

Chuck Denham (USGS) has also ported and made available a version of the
netCDF libraries for Macs:

  ftp://crusty.er.usgs.gov/incoming/NetCDF-Mac/

If you just need applications that run on the Mac and can access and
visualize netCDF data, there are several possibilities:

 Ferret: http://ferret.wrc.noaa.gov/Ferret/
 GrADS:  http://grads.iges.org/grads/
 ncBrowse: http://www.epic.noaa.gov/java/ncBrowse/
 WebWinds: http://webwinds.jpl.nasa.gov/ (Java, so platform-independent)
 NOeSYS: http://www.researchsystems.com/noesys/

Eventually you will be able to use Unidata Java applications to
analyze and visualize netCDF data on a Mac, but currently only
prototypes are available and the Java on MacOS 9, is not the required
1.2 ore later that's needed for those.

--Russ