Re: 20000821: netcdf VERSION

>To: <address@hidden>
>From: "John Huddleston" <address@hidden>
>Subject: netcdf VERSION

John,

> FYI, the OOTB configure for beta 3 did not
> do the fortran.   I looked in the configure
> script and see that under that section, there
> is no check for "CYG*" after the `uname -sr`
> The Cygwin compiler is g77.  So, I copied the
> nfconfig.inc from the netcdf-3.5/src/fortran
> directory (my previous copy) and the make
> worked.
>
> Second issue, the copy of the binary
> executables (such as ncdump failed).  The
> executable is ncdump.exe.  So, I did the
> make -k to ensure that it all installed
> and then copied the .EXE files by hand.

Thanks for the information about building under the Cygwin
environment.  We don't have a Cygwin platform here, so we can't
support it directly out of the box (I finally figured out what OOTB
stood for :-).  But we do index our responses to your email and others
like them to help users find out what's required to build on platforms
we don't directly support.  For examples of how we try to provide
information on other platforms we don't directly support (such as
BeOS, MachTen, NetBSD, Interix, PowerPC/Linux, etc.), see

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/other-builds.html

Steve Emmerson included some of the changes you suggested earlier in
out current 3.5beta3 release, but evidently they didn't completely
solve the problems.  I'm forwarding your latest problem reports to him
also, in case he sees a reasonable way to get those in the netCDF 3.5
release.

In a reply from last November, I said

 I'd like to find a way to support Cygwin in netCDF 3.5 before we
 release it.

but I have to back-pedal on that commitment, because without the
resources to locally test and adapt to Cygwin, this may not be
practical.

If we begin to see lots of questions about netCDF on Cygwin, we might
have to acquire and directly support it, but so far that platform is
fairly far down on the list.

--Russ