Re: 20000821: netcdf VERSION

>To: <address@hidden>
>From: "John Huddleston" <address@hidden>
>Subject: netcdf VERSION

Hi John,

> I am using the Cygwin system to build netCDF
> for windows NT.  The VERSION files that
> comes with the distribution has spaces in it
> so that when the -D`cat VERSION` is used
> it causes a failure.   Either change "ucar netcdf 3.5"
> to "3.5" or put underscores in it or put double
> quotes around the -D expression.

Thanks for the bug report.  The VERSION file in

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-3.5-beta3.ZIP

has

  3.5-beta3

but also seems to have an extra blank line, which we'll remove before
the final release.

I'm not sure where the "-D`cat VERSION`" you are seeing comes from.  I
just grepped through all the source files in the distribution as well
as the Makefiles constructed by running the configure script, and it
doesn't appear anywhere.  Are you by any chance using someone else's
adaptation to Cygwin, for example Arlindo da Silva's?

--Russ