20000815: syntax for ncgen under OVMS

Detlef,

> To: address@hidden
> From: Detlef Krack <address@hidden>
> Subject: syntax for ncgen under OVMS

> we are trying to get netCDF v2 running on our OpenVMS v7.2 system. First of
> all I was playing around with the tools of the prebuild version. To get
> NCGEN running I would like to know what the VMS syntax is. The only thing I
> got accepted by NCGEN is the /input=input-file.cdl qualifier. The only
> described syntax in the documentation is the UNIX syntax. Does somebody
> remember the OpenVMS syntax??

The "ncgen" program uses the "getopt" function of the C library, which
is declared in the "stdio.h" header-file.  This function is the same
under VMS as it is under UNIX.

Here are some examples of "ncgen" usage under VMS:

    $ ncgen == "$ sys$disk:[]ncgen.exe"
    $ ncgen -o test0.nc test0.cdl
    $ ncgen -o test1.nc test1.cdl
    $ ncgen -c test0.cdl
    $ ncgen -f test0.cdl

> Best regards

> Detlef Krack                     Head  Computer and Data Systems
>
> Deutsch Niederlaendische Windkanaele    Phone: +31 - 527 - 248530
> Duits-Nederlandse Windtunnels               Fax:          +31 - 527 - 248582
> German-Dutch Windtunnels                     E-mail:          address@hidden

Regards,