20000814: NetCDF::put_att_text not found

Ron,

> To: address@hidden
> From: Ron Kahn <address@hidden>
> Subject: trouble modifying global attributes from NetCDFPerl interface.

> I am trying to change the value of a global
> attribute and when I execute the following code,
>
> $ncid = NetCDF::open("$filename",NetCDF::WRITE);
> $status =
> NetCDF::put_att_text($ncid,NetCDF::GLOBAL,"channel",NetCDF::CHAR,
>

> length($channel),\$channel);
>

> I get the following message:
>
> Can't locate auto/NetCDF/put_att_tex.al in @INC at
> test.pl line 114
>         Carp::croak called at
> /usr/local/perl5/lib/AutoLoader.pm line 93
>         AutoLoader::AUTOLOAD called at test.pl
> line 114
>         main::write_GMS_data called at test.pl
> line 88
>

> Is this an installation problem, or am I doing
> something incorrectly.  I have been able in the
> past to read netCDf files without any problem, but
> this is the first time I am trying to modify their
> contents.  BTW, the variables $filename and
> $channel are
> initialized and contain appropriate values.

The netCDFPerl module uses version 2 of the the netCDF API rather than
version 3; consequently, it supports the NetCDF::attput() method rather
than the NetCDF::put_att_text() method.

For a description of the netCDFPerl package and the netCDF version 2
interface, please see

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf-perl/

Regards,