20000807: Import/Exprot from/to generic format types

Dr. Mehmet Dondurur,

> To: address@hidden
> From: Mehmet Dondurur <address@hidden>
> Subject: Import/Exprot from/to generic format types

> Hi,
> I am new to netCDF format and I would like to export netCDFfiles to
> generic formats
> or import files from netCDF format?
>  Is this possible using netCDF utils or any other software?
>
> Appreciated very much
>
> Dr. Mehmet Dondurur
> NASA EOS Project Scientist
> EITI
> 1616 McCormick Drive
> Upper Marlboro, MD 20774
> 310-925-0786
> address@hidden

In general, yes, this is possible.  The details, however, depend on the
application that you're using.  In order to import a netCDF file, an
application *must* have an I/O backend that uses the netCDF API.  The
same is true for an application that would export data to a netCDF file.
If the application doesn't know how to import or export netCDF files,
then nothing can be done to give it that knowledge other than writing
the necessary code and adding it to the application somehow.

If you have an application that can't import or export netCDF files
but can import or export something else, then you might try to find a
conversion utility.

The only "conversion" utilities that come with the netCDF package are
the "ncdump" and "ncgen" utilities which convert between a netCDF file
and a particular formatted-ASCII version of the file known as CDL.
Information on these utilities can be found at the following URL:

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/docs.html

A list of netCDF-using software packages -- some of
which can also convert formats -- can be found at the following URL:

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/software.html

Regards,