20000726: Action prohibited on NC_GLOBAL varid

Sunil,

> To: address@hidden
> From: Sunil M Sawani <address@hidden>
> Subject: ncvarinq

> I have a piece of code using the netCDF library.  I have a single variable
> out of a bunch that is giving me problems. As far as I can tell, there is
> nothing different in this one ncvpt (I am using the FORTRAN interface)
> call from the rest of them, yet, it gives me an error. The error is:
> "ncvarinq: invalid use of GLOBAL variable".  My entire department is
> stumped! If you could give any possibly causes, that would be lovely. The
> code fragment follows.  I have omitted the declaration of the variables,
> and only included the ncvpt calls.  If any more code is needed to diagnose
> this, please let me know.  Thanks!
>
> BTW, the call that causes this error is the one for the variable called
> "chisq".
>
> Sunil Sawani
> Space Physics Research Lab
> University of Michigan

> c store region
>       call ncvpt(ncid, regionid, start, count, region, iret)
>
> c store local_time
>       call ncvpt(ncid, local_timeid, start, count, local_time, iret)
>
> c store lat
>       call ncvpt(ncid, latid, start, count, lat, iret)
>
> c store chisq
>       write(*,*) 'write_rec: before the store chisq call'
>       write(*,*) 'write_rec: THE PROBLEM AREA'
>       call ncvpt(ncid, chisqid, start, count, chisq, iret)
>       write(*,*) 'write_rec: store chisq ncvpt()'
>
> c store lon
>       call ncvpt(ncid, lonid, start, count, lon, iret)
>
> c store chisq_0
>       call ncvpt(ncid, chisq_0id, start, count, chisq_0, iret)

The error message should be "Action prohibited on NC_GLOBAL varid" if
you're using the latest netCDF package.

This message occurs if the variable ID in a variable-access routine
is NC_GLOBAL (which is -1) rather than a valid variable ID (which is
a positive integer).  I'd guess, therefore, that the variable "chisqid"
has the value -1.

Regards,