20000627: netcdf3.5 beta with f90 interface AIX build

Paul,

In the above message, you wrote:

> Do you know of a build script that exists for the netCDF 3.5 beta
> package with the f90 interface? The one that comes with the package does
> not detect that the Fortran90 compiler must be named xlf90 rather than
> f90 (the latter is no longer an alias on the AIX system I use - running
> AIX 4.3).
>
> I tried modifying the configure script myself (I placed a "F90=xlf90" in
> the configure script), but I still got the "the Fortran interface will
> not be built" message. I did a "make clean" and "make distclean" after
> each attempt to ensure I wasn't shooting myself in the foot with a
> previous compile.
>
> Also, the IBM xlf90 compiler assumes *.f extensions for the source
> files. This is okay for the "regular" netCDF library build/test but not
> so for the Fortran90 interface build. In which makefile or script should
> I put in the compiler option to accept *.f90 suffixed files
> (-qsuffix=f=f90)? If I do it in the main makefile, the compiler assumes
> ALL the Fortran source code is suffixed with .f90. Bloody IBM.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> cheers,
>
> paulv
> --
> Paul van Delst           Ph:  (301) 763-8000 x7274
> CIMSS @ NOAA/NCEP        Fax: (301) 763-8545
> Rm.202, 5200 Auth Rd.    Email: address@hidden
> Camp Springs MD 20746

I just built the netCDF 3.5beta package (including the F90 interface) on
our AIX 4.3 system using a particular set of environment variable
settings to inform the configure script about the system.

Try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level, netCDF source directory.

    2.  Perform steps 3 through 5 near the end of the INSTALL file.

    3.  Ensure that the following environment variables have the
        indicated values:

            CC          /bin/xlc
            FC          /bin/xlf
            F90         /bin/xlf90
            F90FLAGS    -g -qsuffix=f=f90

    4.  Perform steps 6 through 9 near the end of the INSTALL file

Please let me know if this helps.

Regards,