20000608: Compiling NetCDF 3.4 under SunOS 5.8 (alias Solaris 8)

Greg,

In the above message, you wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I recently installed NetCDF (3.4) on my workstation,

Sun's using netCDF?  Cool!  :-)

> and noticed
> in your documentation that there hadn't been a successful compilation
> of 3.4 under SunOS.

You're right, we haven't tried to build the package under SunOS 5.8
(alias Solaris 2.8, Solaris 8, ...).  We do have a SPARC workstation
with that OS but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

> I was able to compile NetCDF using WorkShop 6.0 compilers
> and Solaris 8 without any problem - `make test` ran fine.  I've
> included some information about the system an compilers below:
>
> SunOS rubato 5.8 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-60
>
> CC=/opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc
> CPPFLAGS=
> CFLAGS=-O
> FC=/opt/SUNWspro/bin/f77
> FFLAGS=-w
> CXX=/opt/SUNWspro/bin/CC
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Greg Ruetsch

> Greg Ruetsch                        Sun Microsystems, Inc.
> Market Development Engineering      901 San Antonio Rd., UMPK24-201
>                                     Palo Alto, CA 94303-4900
>
> address@hidden | Voice: (650) 786-9720 | Fax: (650) 786-6530

Thanks for the info.  I'll put your example in the INSTALL file for the
next release.

Regards,