Re: 20000516: Netcdf on Alpha

>To: "'address@hidden'" <address@hidden>
>cc: "Smith, William" <address@hidden>,
>cc: "'address@hidden'" <address@hidden>
>From: "Smith, William" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Netcdf on Alpha

Hi William,

> I'm one of the Compaq support people at NCAR.  We've
> had requests from other customers for NetCDF on the
> Compaq Alpha machines.  I know it's running at NCAR,
> but can't find anything about the Alpha being a
> supported platform on your web site.
>
> Where can I find information about getting a copy
> of NetCDF that can be compiled for Alpha with the
> Tru64 Unix operating system?

Isn't "Tru64" just a new name for what was previously called "Digital
Unix" and before that "OSF1"?  We use the name returned by running the
"uname -a" program to identify operating systems; does "uname -a" now
return "Tru64" instead of "OSF1-x.x" for the platform?  If this is the
case, please let us know and we'll try to update things for the
upcoming netCDF 3.5 release.

If you need the new Fortran 90 interface, try following the
instructions for OSF1 in the INSTALL file of the netCDF 3.5 beta
release, which is available from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-3.5-beta3.ZIP

and please let us know if you encounter any problems (our Alpha hasn't
been upgraded to Tru64 yet, so we don't have a platform on which to
test it).

If you don't need the Fortran 90 interface, you can use the current
netCDF 3.4 release, available from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf.tar.Z

which also ought to compile and build OK on the Alpha/Tru64 platform
using the OSF1/Alpha instructions in the INSTALL file.

--Russ