Re: 20000302: LaHey Fortran

>To: "'address@hidden'" <address@hidden>
>From: "Tap, Frank" <address@hidden>
>Subject: LaHey Fortran

Hi Frank,

> I try to use the pre-built binary version netcdf3.5 static library. With DVF
> this works OK but with LaHey Fortran it does not. Can you tell me whether it
> is possible to use your pre-built binaries with LaHey, or how I can build
> the libraries so they can be used by LaHey.

The pre-built binaries won't work with LaHey Fortran because different
Fortran compilers have different conventions for calling C functions,
such as are used to implement netCDF.  We don't have access to LaHey
Fortran compilers, so we can't provide binaries for that platform.

You might be able to build the library successfully from source,
though I notice there is no direct support for LaHey compilers in the
file src/fortran/cfortran.h that captures all the different
conventions for calling C from Fortran.  If LaHey uses one of the
conventions of some other platform, perhaps you could fool cfortran.h
into using that platform.  We'd be interested in any success you have
with this.

You can find out a little more about other approaches by searching for
the keyword "lahey" in the netCDF support email archive, at

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpsedocs/ghnetcdf.html

which is also available at the bottom of the netCDF home page

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/

--Russ