Re: 991220: netcdf on Cray j90

> From: Ben Foster <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: netcdf on Cray j90

Hi Ben,

> Sorry to bug you with this, but I'm sure its a simple
> answer. A small test program that creates a netcdf dataset
> on ouray (Cray j90se) at ncar works, but the ncid returned
> is big:

> Created netcdf file file.nc istat=  0 ncid=      659996

In netcdf-3, the ncid is the underlying file descriptor, so in
most cases, the first ncid returned is 3, the standard Unix behavior.
Evidently the Cray I/O system returns a larger file descriptor for
some reason, but it shouldn't cause any problems, as long as you just
treat is as an opaque handle to the file.

--Russ