RE: 19991202: Java NetcdfFile.add

> > Hmmm, unfortunately, the Java netcdf API doesnt allow you to
> > incrementally update the Schema; the Schema in a NetcdfFile is
> > considered immutable.
>
> Any chance the java NetCDF could be extended in this direction?

Possibly eventually, but not immediately

> Also support for ragged arrays would be greatly appreciated.

we are considering using the hdf-5 data file format underneath our next
version of netcdf (version 4). You might look at that now; theres no
Java version though, and we arent yet decided on that path.

> > Kinda lame, but I think thats the way it is. You could 1)
> read the data
> > twice, accumulating the scheme on the first pass, or 2)
> write seperate
> > files for each Variable, then merge at the end.
>
> How do you merge netcdf files? It seems like the same problem.

You can read in the metadata from the single-variable files without
reading the data, construct the schema, make the big file, then read the
data and fill the big file.

> I have my code working. I simply store the data locally as I build
> the schema and then read back through the data to write it to the
> file. This will work fine for modest data set sizes but for larger
> datasets this will be a problem.

sounds like you did the equivalent of what i just suggested. extra cost
is one local read and the extra scratch disk space.