Re: (Fwd) Re: 19990928: NetCDF conversion problems on Crays

John,

In the above message, you wrote:

> Sorry to pester you over this, but I've got several users here who
> are quite anxious about not being able to control their internal-to-
> external conversion adequately....Basically, they want to be able to
> test the KIND (as in the FORTRAN "KIND") of a variable and call the
> appropriate output function. Then, they can turn on "-r8"-type compiler
> switches, yet retain the option to use REAL*4 variables, too.
>
> Anything you can suggest?  Anything new in the pipeline?

There nothing new in the pipeline -- but there's nothing in the current
release that prevents what you want.  You can currently write Fortran-90
code that conditionally uses either doubleprecision or real netCDF I/O
routines -- it's just that the netCDF library has to have been compiled
with the "-dp" option and the netCDF library doesn't understand 128-bit
floating-point values.

I guess I don't understand what the problem is.

--------