Re: 19990922: installing netcdf problem

Emily,

In the above message, you wrote:

> I am currently trying to install the netcdf package onto my machine and am
> running into a snag. The installation process goes well (I am
> following the instructions in the INSTALL file) until I run the "make
> install" command.
>
> I suspect that some of my problems are due to the fact that it is trying
> to write to root directories that I don't have permission to write to. I
> ran a "make install" command in each of the directories that were
> indicated on the top level Makefile (libsrc, fortran, ncgen, ncdump, cxx).
> I looked in each of the directory's Makefiles to see if I could just
> change a path so that it wouldn't try to write to the root directories,
> but I didn't have much success.

The way to install the netCDF package under the root installation
directory <root> is to invoke the configure script using the "--prefix"
optiokn:

    $ ./configure --prefix=<root>

e.g.

    $ ./configure --prefix=/home/steve/netcdf-3.4

Try the following:

    1.  Put the makefiles back the way they were.

    2.  Set your environment variables as before.

    3.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    4.  Remove the file "config.cache".

    5.  Re-execute the configure script using the "--prefix" option to
        set the root directory of the installation.

    6.  Execute the command "make install".

Please let me know if this helps.

--------