Re: 19990728: NetCDF for Java on Sun JDK 1.1.4/Solaris

>From: John Begenisich <address@hidden>
>Subject: NetCDF for Java on Sun JDK 1.1.4/Solaris

Hi John,

> Using the latest (1999-02-10) release of the NetCDF classes for Java,
> there is a problem storing large numbers with Sun's JDK 1.1.4 on SPARC
> SunOS 5.6-- they are stored as negative numbers, as if they were too big
> and wrapped around.

We haven't seen this problem, and I can't reproduce it.  Could you
give me an example of what you mean by a "large number"?  For example,
Java has no support for unsigned ints, so if you have an integer value
that's larger than 2^31=2147483647, its not an int but a long.  NetCDF
has no support for longs (64-bit integers), so you have to use doubles
to store numeric values that require more precision than an int or a
float.

> JDK 1.1.8 on Linux works great.  Is this a limitation with Java 1.1.4?

Not as far as I am aware.  But if you can send a small example that
demonstrates the problem, we'll look into it ...

--Russ