Re: 19990516: Yacc parser required for Fan 2.0.2

Frank,

In the above message, you wrote:

> I have attempted to build the fan-utilities on a Lintel. An error
> occurs during compilation in the fanlib library: nasParse.c is
> required to be parsed by an OSF/1 yacc parser.

You must mean that "nasParse.y" is meant to be processed by the OSF/1
yacc utility.

> I have attempted to parse the file using the Berkeley yacc parser,
> byacc, but it cannot deal with the directives. Is not OSF/1 an
> operating system?

Indeed it is.  The reason that "nasParse.y" is meant to be processed by
the OSF/1 yacc(1) is because that operating system's yacc(1) can be told
to generate a package-specific parser, i.e. a parser that is independent
of the existance of any other parser in the same application.  Most
yacc(1) utilities won't do this, which is why we chose the OSF/1
yacc(1).

> Does this require that I compile the source on an
> OSF/1 operating system?

You'd have to do that only if you wanted to regenerate the parser from
scratch.

The problem that you reported is due to a bug in the original
"nasParse.y" file -- so regenerating the "nasParse.c" file probably
wouldn't help.  I've corrected that bug and made a new release.  You'll
find it at <ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/fan-2.0.3.tar.Z>.

Be advised, however, that the FAN package is no longer supported.

In building on a Linux system I had to set the environment variable
LD_XDR to "-lc" before executing the configure script in order to
resolve the symbol "xdr_long".  You'll probably have to do the same.

--------