Re: 19990402: NetCDF demands eprintf. What is it?

Ra,

In the above message, you wrote:

> Installing NetCDF-3.4 on a Sun complains about not finding eprintf,
> both during "make test" and then when trying to compile & link with a
> simple(!) Fortran test program.  What is eprintf?

If I recall correctly, "eprintf" is used by some Unix-like sytems to
print to standard output the error message that corresponds to an error
code.  It's non-standard and not used by the netCDF package anywhere.

I suspect that your development environment is forcing the use of
"eprintf" (rather than the netCDF package).  I suggest that you check
with your system administrator in order to determine the reason behind
the reference to "eprintf".

> It sounds similar
> to printf, fprintf, sprintf in C.  We tried both Sun's C and also Gnu
> C.  Same complaint. "make test" complained:
>  . . .
> ranlib ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a
> /water/opt/SUNWspro/bin/f90 -o ftest -g -w  ftest.o ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a
> ild: (undefined symbol) __eprintf -- referenced in the text segment of \
>   ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a: var.o             (I broke this line to stay <81
> char.)

Do a search of libsrc/var.c and you'll see that "eprintf" isn't used at
all.

> If I had source code for whatever __eprintf is supposed to be, I could
> put it in the libnetcdf.a myself.  Or if I knew what __eprintf is
> supposed to do, I might be able to program an __eprintf.

I suggest that you fix your development environment instead.

--------