Re: 19990324: compilation problem: ptrdiff_t

Dear Gilles,

In the above message, you wrote:

> [...]

> checking if Fortran "integer*2" is C "long"... no
> checking if Fortran "integer" is C "int"... yes
> checking if Fortran "real" is C "float"... yes
> checking if Fortran "doubleprecision" is C "double"... yes
> checking for Fortran-equivalent to netCDF "byte"... byte
> checking for Fortran-equivalent to netCDF "short"... integer*2
> checking for math library
> checking for -lc... no
> checking for -lm... yes
> checking for ar... ar
> checking for ranlib... :
> checking for stdlib.h... yes
> checking for sys/types.h... yes
> checking for strerror... yes
> checking whether cross-compiling... no
> checking for working ftruncate()... yes
> checking for working alloca.h... yes
> checking for alloca... yes
> checking for st_blksize in struct stat... yes
> checking for IEEE floating point format... yes
> checking for ANSI C header files... no
> checking for size_t... no
> checking for off_t... yes
> checking for ssize_t... no
> checking for ptrdiff_t... no
> checking for uchar... no
> checking whether char is unsigned... yes
> checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... yes
> checking size of short... 0
> checking size of int... 0
> checking size of long... 0
> checking size of float... 0
> checking size of double... 0
> checking size of off_t... 0
> checking size of size_t... 0
> checking for catman... no
> checking for makewhatis... no
> checking for manual-page index command...
> checking binary distribution directory...=
>  /home/ftp/pub/binary/dummy_system
> updating cache ./config.cache
> creating ./config.status
> creating macros.make
> udcreating fortran/nfconfig.inc
> creating libsrc/ncconfig.h

> This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
> running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a=
>  mistake.
>
> configure:1020: c89 -c -O -DNDEBUG conftest.c 1>&5
> Feature has expired (-10,32)
>
>  The MIPSpro C Compiler
>  (license FEATURE string =3D cc)
>  requires a license password.
>
>  For license installation and trouble shooting
>  information visit the web page:
>
>          http://www.sgi.com/Support/Licensing/install_docs.html
>
>  To obtain a Permanent license (proof of purchase
>  required) or an Evaluation license please
>  visit our license request web page:
>
>          http://www.sgi.com/Products/license.html
>
>          or send a blank email message to:
>
>          address@hidden
>
>  In North America, Silicon Graphics' customers may request
>  Permanent licenses by sending a facsimile to:
>
>          (650) 932-0537
>
>          or by calling our technical support hotline
>
>          1-800-800-4SGI
>
>  If you are Outside of North America or you are not a Silicon
>  Graphics support customer then contact your local support provider.=

Diagnosing the problem is more difficult and time-consuming if your
compiler includes the above message every time it is executed.

> Making `all' in directory /usr/people/moreau/netcdf-3.4/src/libsrc
>
>         c89 -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG attr.c
> Feature has expired (-10,32)
>
>  The MIPSpro C Compiler
>  (license FEATURE string =3D cc)
>  requires a license password.
>
>  For license installation and trouble shooting
>  information visit the web page:
>
>          http://www.sgi.com/Support/Licensing/install_docs.html
>
>  To obtain a Permanent license (proof of purchase
>  required) or an Evaluation license please
>  visit our license request web page:
>
>          http://www.sgi.com/Products/license.html
>
>          or send a blank email message to:
>
>          address@hidden
>
>  In North America, Silicon Graphics' customers may request
>  Permanent licenses by sending a facsimile to:
>
>          (650) 932-0537
>
>          or by calling our technical support hotline
>
>          1-800-800-4SGI
>
>  If you are Outside of North America or you are not a Silicon
>  Graphics support customer then contact your local support provider.=
>

> "/usr/include/stddef.h", line 37: error(1084): invalid combination of type
>           specifiers
>   typedef int   ptrdiff_t;
>                 ^
>
> "/usr/include/stddef.h", line 46: warning(1213): duplicate specifier in
>           declaration
>   typedef unsigned int  size_t;
>                         ^
>
> "/usr/include/stddef.h", line 46: warning(1349): declaration requires a
>           typedef name
>   typedef unsigned int  size_t;
>                               ^
>
> "/usr/include/sys/types.h", line 218: error(1084): invalid combination of=
>  type
>           specifiers
>   typedef int    ssize_t;
>                  ^
>
> 2 errors detected in the compilation of "attr.c".
> *** Error code 2 (bu21)
> *** Error code 1 (bu21)
> *** Error code 1 (bu21)

To help diagnose the problem, would you please compile the following
program:

    $ cat foo.c
    #include <sys/types.h>
    #include <sys/param.h>
    int main() { return 0; }

with the following command

    $ c89 -c -O -DNDEBUG foo.c

and send me any output (both standard output and standard error).

--------