Re: 19990317: Fan software

>From: Frank Peacock <address@hidden>
>Subject: Fan software

Hi Frank,

> I have downloaded the FAN software and have attempted to make the
> executables. Unfortunately the libfan library file which is required for
> the compilation of the different programs does not exist in the fanlib
> directory.
>
> I have already sent an email directly to Harvey Davis but he has not
> responded.
>
> Could you tell me how to solve this problem?

Just follow the directions in the src/INSTALL file, and libfan.a, the
library archive, will be built after you run "make".  You have to run
"make install" to install it somewhere other than the src/fanlib/
directory, but you can still link executables to the version in the
src/fanlib/ directory, even if you don't run "make install".

I've just tried it by running the "configure" script, then "make", and
it builds the libfan.a library archive, then the nc2text, ncmeta,
ncrob, and text2nc executables with no errors or warnings.  These are
all built by linking against the libfan.a library, using the options
"-L../fanlib -lfan".

If you are only seeing problems when you invoke "make test" of the
form I have appended to this message, these are an artifact of
cosmetic changes made to the output of ncdump since fan 2.0.2 was
released, and do not indicate any problems with fan.

(Coincidentally, I had lunch with Harvey yesterday.  He flew to
Phoenix last night for his son's wedding, and won't be back in
Australia until after next week.)

--Russ

  $ make test

  making `test' in directory /buddy/russ/tmp/fan-2.0.2/src/nc2text

  PATH=.:$PATH ksh Test.sh >test.out 2>&1
  26d25
  <
  ### Failure ###

  returning to directory /buddy/russ/tmp/fan-2.0.2/src

  making `test' in directory /buddy/russ/tmp/fan-2.0.2/src/ncmeta

  PATH=.:$PATH ksh Test.sh >test.out 2>&1
  17c17
  <     long year(year) ;
  ---
  >     int year(year) ;
  ### Failure ###

  returning to directory /buddy/russ/tmp/fan-2.0.2/src

  making `test' in directory /buddy/russ/tmp/fan-2.0.2/src/ncrob

  PATH=.:$PATH ksh Test.sh >test.out 2>&1
  24d23
  <
  59d57