Re: 19990223: Netcdf3.4 installation problem under SunOS 4.1.1

Greetings Dr. Hoe,

> I have a problem installing Netcdf 3.4 using SunOS 4.1.1 as the platform.
> I am unable to rectify the problem so I have no choice but to approach you.
> I have attached some files to help in the debugging.
>
> Thanks in advance for help.  Much appreciated.
>
> Please reply to address@hidden   direct.
>
> Regards.
> Dr Chew Kian Hoe

> This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
> running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.
>
> configure:1020: cc -c -O -DNDEBUG conftest.c 1>&5
> configure:1220: cc -E -DNDEBUG conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
> configure:1373: f77 -c -O conftest.f
> conftest.f:
>  MAIN:
> configure:1422: f77 -o conftest -O conftest.F
> /tmp/cpp.01481.0.f:
>  MAIN:
> "conftest.F", line 3: Warning: local variable "r" never used
> configure:1463: f77 -c -O conftest.f
> conftest.f:
>  MAIN:
> configure:1498: f77 -c -O conftest.f
> conftest.f:
>       sub:
> configure:1521: f77 -c -O conftest.f
> conftest.f:
>       sub:
> configure:1555: cc -c -DNDEBUG -O conftest.c
> "conftest.c", line 2: syntax error at or near variable name "signed"
> "conftest.c", line 4: illegal indirection
> "conftest.c", line 4: illegal indirection

> checking for m4... m4
> checking for xlc... no
> checking for c89... no
> checking for acc... no
> checking for cc... cc
> checking C compiler... works
> checking how to make dependencies... cc -M
> checking for CC... no
> checking for cxx... no
> checking for c++... no
> checking for g++... no
> checking for gcc... no
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
> checking for f77... f77
> checking for Fortran .F compiler...
> checking if Fortran compiler handles *.F files... yes
> checking for C-equivalent to Fortran routine "SUB"... sub_
> checking for Fortran "byte"... yes
> checking for Fortran "integer*2"... yes
> checking if Fortran "byte" is C "signed char"...

It appears that your C compiler doesn't understand the keyword "signed".
This indicates that it is not a Standard C compiler.  The netCDF package
must be compiled by a Standard C compiler.

Do you have a Standard C compiler on your system?  If not, then you must
first get one.  If you do have a Standard C compiler, then try the
following:

    1.  Go to the top-level, netCDF source directory.

    2.  Execute the command "make distclean".

    3.  Remove the file "config.cache" if it exists.

    4.  Set your environment variables as before as mentioned in the
        INSTALL file.

    5.  Set the environment variable CC to the absolute pathname of the
        Standard C compiler on your system.

    6.  Execute the configure script.  Redirect standard output and
        standard error to the file "configure.log".  If an error
        message occurs in the output, then stop and send me the file
        "configure.log"

    7.  Execute the command "make".  Redirect standard output and
        standard error to the file "make.log".  If an error occurs, then
        stop and send me the files "make.log" and "configure.log"

    8.  Execute the command "make test".  Redirect standard output and
        standard error to the file "test.log".  If an error occurs, then
        stop and send me the files "test.log" and "make.log".

    9.  Execute the command "make install".  Redirect standard output
        and standard error to the file "install.log".  If an error
        occurs, then stop and send me the file "install.log".

Alternatively, you may obtain a binary-only netCDF distribution for a
SunOS 4.1.1 Sparc system from the following URL

    ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/binary/sunos_4.1-sparc/netcdf-3.4.tar.Z

--------