Re: 19990121: netcdf v3 and HDF

------- Forwarded Message

Date:    Thu, 21 Jan 1999 15:59:00 -0700
From:    Russ Rew <address@hidden>
To:      Christine Molling <address@hidden>
cc:      hdfhelp Barbara Jones <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: 19990121: netcdf v3 and HDF

>To: Christine Molling <address@hidden>
>cc: address@hidden
>From: hdfhelp Barbara Jones <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: netcdf v3 and HDF

Hi Christine,

> I want to read pre-existing netcdf data files in my fortran program and
> write out HDF files.  But HDF4.1r2 seems to have only the netcdf version
> 2 interface, whereas my fortran code uses the netcdf v3 interface.
>
> My question is - can I easily compile HDF4.1r2 using netcdf v3?
> If not, what other options might satisfy my requirements?  (I'm
> compiling on SGI's and Macs, if that makes any difference.)
>
> Requirements:
> -fortran interface
> -netcdf v3 calls for reading netcdf files
> -any version HDF calls for writing HDF files - so long as output is
> compatible with NoEsys software.

If the pre-existing netCDF files you want to read are in Unidata's
netCDF format rather than NCSA's HDF format (written with NCSA's HDF
netCDF interface), then I think what you want to do should be
possible.  Just use Unidata's netCDF library to read the data and
NCSA's HDF library to write the HDF files.

You should be able to link your Fortran program to both libraries,
especially since the netCDF-3 Fortran interfaces are all different
from the netCDF-2 Fortran interfaces, so there should be no name
collisions.  If you encounter specific problems trying to do this,
please send us the details and we'll try to help.

- --Russ

------- End of Forwarded Message