Re: 19990106: Re: ncvgt subroutines

Steve,

In the above message, you wrote:

> creating cache ./config.cache
> checking for m4... m4
> checking user-defined C compiler "/bin/c89"
> checking C compiler... works
> checking how to make dependencies... cc -M
> configure: warning: Empty CXX variable
> configure: warning: The C++ interface will not be built
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... /bin/c89 -E
> checking user-defined Fortran compiler "/usr/local/bin/f90"... works
> checking for Fortran .F compiler...
> checking if Fortran compiler handles *.F files... no
> checking for Fortran preprocessor... /bin/c89 -E

> This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
> running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.
>
> configure:1020: /bin/c89 -c -g -o32  conftest.c 1>&5
> configure:1220: /bin/c89 -E  conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
> configure:1319: /usr/local/bin/f90 -c -g -mismatch -ldarg -32 -ccarg -32
> conftest.f
> configure:1422: /usr/local/bin/f90 -o conftest -g -mismatch -ldarg -32 -ccarg
> -32 conftest.F
> File with unknown suffix .F passed to ld
> No such feature exists (-5,116)
>
>  The MIPSpro Fortran 77 Compiler
>  (license FEATURE string = f77)
>  requires a license password.
>
>  For license installation and trouble shooting
>  information visit the web page:
>
>          http://www.sgi.com/Support/Licensing/install_docs.html
>
>  To obtain a Permanent license (proof of purchase
>  required) or an Evaluation license please
>  visit our license request web page:
>
>          http://www.sgi.com/Products/license.html
>
>          or send a blank email message to:
>
>          address@hidden
>
>  In North America, Silicon Graphics' customers may request
>  Permanent licenses by sending a facsimile to:
>
>          (650) 932-0537
>
>          or by calling our technical support hotline
>
>          1-800-800-4SGI
>
>  If you are Outside of North America or you are not a Silicon
>  Graphics support customer then contact your local support provider.
>
> cc: Error: Fortran is not installed (could not find /usr/lib/fcom).

I think I see what the problem is.  For various reasons, certain
Fortran files in the netCDF package must be preprocessed by the C
preprocessor before they can be compiled by the Fortran compiler.
These files are identified by a ".F" extension.  Many (if not most)
Fortran compilers automatically run the C preprocessor on such files.
Your Fortran compiler, however, apparently doesn't.  Consequently,
your C preprocessor is explicitly used to preprocess such files.
Unfortunately, your C preprocessor appears to be broken.

The solution is to discover a way to preprocess .F files: either by
using your f90 compiler with some particular option or by using the C
preprocessor with some particular option.

Look at your documentation for your f90 compiler and your C compiler.
See if you can come up with a way to preprocess .F files.

--------