Re: 19981231: Re: ncvgt subr

Steve,

In the above message, you wrote:

>     Not my program, looks to me like its coming from the compiler...I was
> looking at the ftest.log file in src/fortran and its full of error messages
> that are similar to that error message..
>
>                                      "
> Warning: ftest.f, line 13572: Inconsistent datatype for arg 5 in call to NCVGT
>                                              "
> Warning: ftest.f, line 14933: Inconsistent datatype for arg 4 in call to
> NCVGT1
>                                               "
> Warning: ftest.f, line 16276: Inconsistent datatype for arg 5 in call to NCVPT
>                                              "
> Warning: ftest.f, line 17623: Inconsistent datatype for arg 4 in call to
> NCVPT1
>                                             "
> Warning: ftest.f, line 18923: Inconsistent datatype for arg 4 in call to
> NCVGT1

The above warning are undoubtably due to the fact that the array
argument to the NCVGT family of routines can be of any type and the
"ftest.f" program tries all types.  This is a feature and not a bug.
The compiler is just being overly cautious in this case.

It's only a warning and shouldn't cause the problem you're experiencing.

> I have a feeling this is all probably due to an an incompatibility with the
> NAG compiler. I've been using netCDF successfully for the last year, guess I
> haven't tried to access on of those particular data types on which netCDF and
> NAG seem to disagree. You or some one else at Unidata may recall (~ 18 months
> ago) going back and forth with a NAG engineer regarding the f90 compiler's
> inabiltiy to recognize *.F files. I was having trouble installing and that was
> the problem, can't recall right now what the solution was.
>
>  I will probably try to install the latest version of netCDF to see if that
> clears this up. If that doesn't work will probably contact NAG to see if they
> have any ideas. Russ Rew suggested that I try the install with the native
> compiler as FC, problem is, there is no native compiler -- the NAG is all I
> got. Boss too cheap to dole out for the SGI compiler (&$!!!), sure wouldn't be
> using the NAG if I could help it.
>
> Well, thanks fer all the help, will let you all know how this turns out....

Feel free to contact me.

--------