Re: Need for AWIPS Enhancement Curve Utility (fwd)

Hi Tom,

> Thought you might know of some netCDF editor that could be used for
> this purpose?

> Ken Waters wrote:
> > Date: 15 Dec 1998 12:12:40 -0500
> > From: Ken Waters <address@hidden>
> > To: address@hidden
> > cc: Matt Strahan <address@hidden>, Dan Smith <address@hidden>,
> >         Bernard Meisner <address@hidden>
> > Subject: Need for AWIPS Enhancement Curve Utility
> >

> >      All,
> >
> >      I was just speaking with Tony Mostek about the need for a utility on
> >      AWIPS that can extract and reconstruct the enhancement curves on
> >      AWIPS.  Basically, AWIPS stores all the lookup tables in one file in
> >      netCDF format.  This makes it very difficult to share individual
> >      enhancement curves between AWIPS sites.  What is needed is a tool that
> >      would allow deletions and additions to this netCDF file.
> >
> >      Is anyone working on such a utility?  I was thinking about writing one
> >      myself, but Tony thought someone else might have already done one.

I don't know of anything that's specifically for editing AWIP lookup
tables.  This seems like a good candidate for the netCDF for Java
interface.

There are a few general-purpose netCDF file editors, briefly described
in the "Software for Manipulating or Displaying NetCDF Data" documented
at

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/software.html

including:

 MexEPS (for use with MATLAB)
   http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/software.html#MexEPS
 NetCDF Toolbox for MATLAB-5
   http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/software.html#NC4ML5
 NetCDF File Calculator and Data Editor
   http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/software.html#NetCDF File
Calculator and Data Editor

but I'm not sure how useful these would be for this task.

--Russ