Re: 19981214: problem building netcdf package on HP-UX 10.20

>To: address@hidden
>From: David Gell <address@hidden>
>Subject: problem building netcdf package on HP-UX 10.20

Hi David,

> I am trying to build the netcdf package on an HP C200 workstation.
> During the make, it posts the following error:
>
>         c89 -c -O   -DNDEBUG fortlib.c
>         fort77 -o nf_test -O2 -w  test_get.o     test_put.o      error.o
>    nf_test.o     test_read.o
>   test_write.o    util.o  fortlib.o -L../libsrc -lnetcdf -lU77 -lm
> /usr/ccs/bin/ld: Can't find library for -lU77
> *** Error exit code 1
>
> I can use find to find the libU77, as follows:
>
> # find / -name libU77*
> /opt/fortran/lib/libU77.a
> /opt/fortran/lib/libp/libU77.a
> /opt/fortran90/lib/libU77.a
> /opt/fortran90/lib/libU77.alias
> /opt/fortran90/lib/libp/libU77.a
> /usr/lib/nls/msg/C/libU77.cat
>
> The system name is:
> # uname -a
> HP-UX tidi02 B.10.20 A 9000/782 2006635277 two-user license
>
> The version file contains:
>
> 3.3
>
> Attached please find the config.log file, the standard and error output
> produced by configure in configure_errors.log, and the standard and error
> output produced by make in make_errors.log

The current supported version of netCDF is version 3.4, available from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf.tar.Z

It contains an INSTALL file that provides recommended environment
variable settings for building netCDF on various platforms, including
HP-UX 10.  The latest version of the INSTALL file is also avilable at

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/INSTALL

It appears from the `make' output you have supplied that you aren't
using the recommended environment variable setting

  CPPFLAGS=-D_HPUX_SOURCE

It's also possible that your Fortran compiler is not installed or
configured correctly, if it can't find libU77.a, which contains
runtime support for the compiler.  You could try telling the compiler
explicitly where to look, by specifying the environment variable

  FFLAGS="-O2 -w -L/opt/fortran/lib"

before you run the configure script, but that might just cure one
symptom of a problem with the Fortran installation.

Another alternative is installing a binary release of netCDF 3.4
that's already been built for HP-UX 10.20 platforms, from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/binary/hpux_10.20-hp9000/netcdf-3.4.tar.Z

I hope this helps.

--Russ